Sunday, November 7, 2010

Freedom...

Modern day slavery. Does it really even exist still? Well that all comes down to what your definiition of slavery is. Well I know for a fact that young girls are kidnapped and sold as sex slaves in foreign countries, so I guess that qualifies. Well, let's take into account the poor sweatshop workers over seas, laboring away in a warehouse basement for almost no pay. Now, i guess those are both close enough to the enslavement of Africans in America less than 200 years ago. But, that doesn't cover the entire spectrum for me. Being the person that I am I want to take my definition outside the box, how about modern day mental slavery. Pharrell Williams once said, " You are only truely free once your mind no longer realizes boundaries."


At first when I heard this i casted it off as some cliche, primodonna hipster jibberish, but later I genuinely began to think about what he'd said. Let's really think about how much our minds hender us in our thought proccess of what we can and can't do. Let's take into account how many times the word "can't" getting in the way of what it is we want to do. Are we slaves to our distorted ideas of what we can make possible for ourselves. Well, I say YES! I feel that when we are born we have this hidden part in our minds that restricts us from reaching our full potential and trying to fulfill our dreams. Not matter how much you hear as a child from your parents that you can do whatever it is you set your mind to it doesn't actually register. I fell that the epiphany of the non-existance of artificial boundaries in our minds takes a journey in discovering ourselves to find. I find myself at times getting past boundaries of doing what I want to do, to just run into the even bigger boundary of how I can go about accomplishing it. I am a slave within my own mind of reaching accomplishing my personal goals. But, as history shows I will overcome, it will just take time and experience for my light to click on.  

2 comments:

  1. Chava! Haha.
    I never really thought about being a slave within myself. Its in interesting topic and I agree with Pharrell's statement, "You are only free once your mind no longer realizes boundries." Keeps me motivated to break my mental barries and achieve all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i agrre with what youre saying about girls being sold as sex slaves. They dont get paid and they are on the streets for a very long time. thats slavery

    ReplyDelete